Skip to main content

Featured

Chapters

Were you aware of the moment your life started entering a new chapter? Or are these moments always a product of hindsight? As another year comes to a close I have felt something stirring inside. Something akin to the turning of a new page, the start of a new chapter. One built on the dark words that stain the bright pages of the past that now lead into the story that is about to unfold. To give continuity to this cliche of a life I have lead, this change starts with what else, but a story about a girl. Who she is, is less important than what she represents. She is that leading sentence at the end of a passage that welcomes you into the next act. Desire is like a ninja. It always hits you when you least expect it and it overwhelms before you can truly come to grips with it. It took this girl(almost ten years my junior) to finally wake me up. No, not from that all too common tunnel vision that is created when the heart finds the object of its affection. It is an awakening from t

Really?! But you don't look Mexican?

So here's the thing...
I was born in Los Angeles, CA, one of the most densely populated Mexican communities in the U.S. I have olive skin, dark hair and dark eyes.
If you were to categorize me as anything other than White American wouldn't the most logical assumption be of Mexican descent?
Well, surprisingly 'No' is the answer most of the time. I've been confused for Israeli, Lebanese, Syrian, Armenian, Greek, Italian, French, Moroccan, Spanish... Basically, Mediterranean or Middle Eastern. I also get asked if I'm from South America too. Usually Colombian, Argentine or Brazilian.
I must clarify, I am not at all insulted by this, I am merely perplexed by the assumption. Like I stated earlier, the most reasonable assumption would be Mexican given the long history(Being that California was formerly part of Mexico) and the waves of Mexican immigration to this area.

But Why Though?

One of the possible, and likely, explanations is prejudice. I know, it is not at all comforting to think you are prejudice but it hey, no one is perfect.
http://www.afrikanheritage.com/
Hollywood has done a remarkable job at stereotyping Mexicans and Mexican Americans. It is far too common for them to be portrayed as bald, tattooed gangsters on the streets of East LA or as sombrero wearing immigrants working the fields, the kitchens and in sanitation. Usually they are more indigenous looking too.
Where does this stereotype come from? Well, reality. It is true that many examples can be found of this stereotype however, you're missing a whole lot! Mexicans(and by extension all of Latin America) are arguably the most diverse people in the world, culturally as well as genetically. While many Americans assume the U.S. is a melting pot, I tend to see it more as a salad bowl. Sure the dressing mixes it up a bit but you can generally see the lettuce from the tomato. Latin America in contrast, is so mixed that in Mexico, no one actually thinks of categorizing people by their race like in the U.S. Pick a family, pretty much any family and you will find blond, blue-eyed relatives next to olive skinned, dark haired relatives next to dark skinned ones.

But You're White?!

One of the stories I hear often from white Latin Americans is how incredulous U.S. citizens react to hearing that 'white' isn't exclusively Canadian/U.S./European. Same goes for stories from black Latin Americans but to a lesser degree. Many of us who don't fit neatly into the U.S. concept of Latin American, and in my case Mexican, usually go unnoticed by most Americans because we not only look different but have different jobs than expected. Among my friends alone you can find artists, scientists, professors, business people, people working in non-profits dedicated to culture, etc. We're everywhere and come in all shapes, colors and sizes.

OK... My Bad.

No worries. I don't get insulted by the mistaken identity rather, see it as an opportunity to pick away at certain stereotypes which can lead to a better worldview for people who otherwise were unaware. But, now that I see how internationally I look... maybe I should look for employment as a spy! lol, JK. I'm a pacifist :)

Comments

Popular Posts